How to root Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro SM-J730GM with Android 9 Pie using ODIN software. This Root method use Magisk Canary Release and patched AP tar file. Read notes / Warning on the bottom of this post before perform root your Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro SM-J730GM. Take it your own risk! Follow the instruction carefully and read the warning! Make sure to backup all your important data! Rooting J7 Pro SM-J730G, SM-J730GM and SM-J730F with Android 9 Pie.
Step by step Rooting Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro SM-J730GM Android 9 Pie
- Enable Developer Options: go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging options ( Settings -> Developer options )
- Download and Extract ODIN v3.13.1 from https://odindownload.com/SamsungOdin/
- Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers: http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
- Download Magisk Canary Release ( app-release.apk )
Patched AP .tar and Rooting Galaxy J7 Pro SM-J730GM Android 9 Pie with Magisk Canary Release :
- Download the firmware SM-J730GM.
- Unzip the firmware and copy the AP tar file to your device. It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5
- Install Magisk Manager Canary Release app-release.pk on your phone.
- In Magisk Manager: Install → Install → Select and Patch a File
- Select the AP tar file. Magisk Manager will patch the whole firmware file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.tar. Copy the tar file to your PC
- Enter Download Mode : Press and hold Volume Down key + Home Key, while pressing these keys Press and hold Power key, Release all key when Download / Odin mode appears.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy to PC using USB Cable and Press Volume Up key.
- Flash magisk_patched.tar as AP in ODIN
- In Option make sure to ticked F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot only
- Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device!
- The device will automatically reboot. for the first time it needs more time.. just wait and be patient!
- After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. The following steps will need internet connection.
- If you can not see Magisk Manager in your phone, you need to install the APK manually. it will automatically upgrade to the full Magisk Manager when you open it.
- Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device.
If you get error message Security notice: Unauthorized actions have been detected. Restart your device to undo any unauthorized changes. Just freeze SecurityLogAgent to fix it.
If something goes wrong and you want to unroot it, just flash the ROM to make it works again. Read How to flash Galaxy J7 Pro SM-J730GM.
Notes / Warning!
- Use at your own risk, I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
- Using the incorrect file may brick your device.
- If your target device has a custom firmware flash counter, Rooting will trigger it. If you’re lucky, Triangle Away has support for your device and can be used to reset the counter.
- If you have a KNOX-enabled device, Rooting will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !
- If your device storage is encrypted, Rooting will wipe your data !
- If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device – with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically “OEM unlock” and wipe your data !
- Make sure to backup your important data before root it.