How to flash / install TWRP 3.1.1 Custom Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus SM-G955X. It’s for Samsung Galaxy S8+ Exynos variants ONLY, S8+ SM-G955F / S8+ SM-G955FD / S8+ SM-G955N / S8+ SM-G955X. Once you installed TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy devices, you can customize it, Rooting or installing custom ROM and also customize your android system. Use at your own risk! I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
Step by step Installing TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S8+ SM-G955X :
Prepare your device:
- Enable Developer Options: go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging options ( Settings -> Developer options )
- Download and Extract ODIN https://odindownload.com/SamsungOdin/
- Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers: http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
- Download a .tar image of TWRP recovery at https://twrp.me/devices/samsunggalaxys8plus.html
Install TWRP Recovery
- Open ODIN software
- In Files Download ticked AP and pointing to the location of TWRP .tar file
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy and open Download Mode or ODIN Mode: To enter Download Mode Press and hold Volume Down key + Bixby key, while pressing these keys Press and hold Power key, Release all key when Download / Odin mode appears.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy to PC using USB Cable and Press Volume Up key.
- Hold [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] on your phone and then press start on Odin.
- Wait for the phone to reboot. DO NOT release [VOLUME UP] + [BIXBY] + [POWER] or you may not reboot into TWRP. You should in TWRP Recovery Mode.
- Select “Keep / system RO”. (Don’t swipe right or you may not be able to boot into system if you failed to complete next steps. However, you can swipe right to allow modifications if you are confident that you can complete next steps.)
- Go to “Wipe” menu of TWRP and you will find “Format Data”. Press “Format Data” and type “yes” to continue.
- Go to “Reboot” menu and Press “Recovery” to reboot TWRP.
- Download the latest dm-verity and force encryption disabler zip on your computer.
- Transfer the zip to your phone.
- Go to “Install” menu of TWRP and flash the zip.
Notes / Warning!
- Use at your own risk, I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
- Using the incorrect file may brick your device.
- If your target device has a custom firmware flash counter, Rooting will trigger it. If you’re lucky, Triangle Away has support for your device and can be used to reset the counter.
- If you have a KNOX-enabled device, Rooting will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !
- If your device storage is encrypted, Rooting will wipe your data !
- If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device – with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically “OEM unlock” and wipe your data !
- Make sure to backup your important data before root it.