TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy A70. It may be works for SM-A705F, SM-A705FN, SM-A705GM, SM-A705MN, SM-A7050, SM-A705W variants. The TWRP Recovery worked with Magisk for rooting. Read notes / Warning on the bottom of this post before flashing TWRP recovery on your Samsung Galaxy A70. Take it your own risk! Follow the instruction carefully and Make sure to backup all your important data!
Step by step flashing TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy A70 Android 9 Pie
- Enable Developer Options: go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging options ( Settings -> Developer options )
- Make the bootloader are unlocked if not read How to unlock Bootloader
- Download and Extract ODIN v3.13.1 from https://odindownload.com/SamsungOdin/
- Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers: http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
- Download vbmeta.tar and Recovery file
Flashing TWRP Recovery on Galaxy A70 Android 9 Pie :
- Make sure the bootloader are unlocked
- Enter Download Mode : Turn Power Off. Press and hold Volume Up key + Power Key, When Samsung Logo appears release Power Key only, keep pressing Volume Up key until Android Recovery Mode Appears. Select Reboot to bootloader. Connect your Samsung Galaxy to PC using USB Cable.
- IMPORTANT!: Uncheck “Auto Reboot” in Options!
- Flashing vbmeta.tar as AP in ODIN, then click start.
- vbmeta.tar is now successfully flashed to your device! Several steps before you can properly use the device.
- DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Press and hold Volume Down + Power Key, when the screen blank quickly press and hold Volume Up + Power key, when Samsung Logo appears release Power key only, keep pressing Volume Up key until TWRP Recovery Mode Appears.
- Select Wipe -> Format data.
- Select Reboot to System
- Now you can setup your phone as usual and make sure oem unlocking is still greyed out and enabled!
- Time to flash recovery. Extract recovery.zip, you will see one single file named recovery.img. Pack it as tar with 7zip or any other compression tool you prefer. This packed tar file should only contain recovery.img and nothing else, also make sure the name is still recovery.img, otherwise Odin will refuse to flash it. In Odin put the tar file in AP and simply hit start. Congrats you now have TWRP installed!
If something goes wrong and you want to unroot it, just flash the ROM to make it works again. Read How to flash Galaxy A70.
Notes / Warning!
- Use at your own risk, I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
- Using the incorrect file may brick your device.
- If your target device has a custom firmware flash counter, Rooting will trigger it. If you’re lucky, Triangle Away has support for your device and can be used to reset the counter.
- If you have a KNOX-enabled device, Flashing TWRP Recovery will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !
- If your device storage is encrypted, Flashing TWRP Recovery will wipe your data !
- If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device – with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically “OEM unlock” and wipe your data !
- Make sure to backup your important data before root it.