How to root Samsung Galaxy A20 using ODIN software. It may be works for other variants SM-A205F, SM-A205FN, SM-A205GN, SM-A205YN, SM-A205G, SM-A205W, SM-A205U. This Root method use Latest Magisk Manager Canary Release and patched boot.img file. Read notes / Warning on the bottom of this post before perform root your Samsung Galaxy A20. Take it your own risk! Follow the instruction carefully and Make sure to backup all your important data!
Step by step Rooting Samsung Galaxy A20
- Enable Developer Options: go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging options ( Settings -> Developer options )
- Unlock bootloader, If not, Read How to unlock bootloader Galaxy A20
- Download and Extract ODIN v3.13.1 from https://odindownload.com/SamsungOdin/
- Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers: http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
- Download Magisk Manager Canary Release, copy it to your phone.
Patched boot.tar and Rooting Galaxy A20 with Magisk Manager :
- Download the firmware Galaxy A20 that match with your A20 Model number ( SM-A205F, SM-A205FN, SM-A205GN, SM-A205YN, SM-A205G, SM-A205W, SM-A205U )
- Unzip the firmware and extract boot.img.lz4 from AP tar file ( It is normally named as AP_[device_model_sw_ver].tar.md5. ) Copy boot.img.lz4 to your phone and extract it using ZArchiver app and copy boot.img to Internal storage\Download folder.
- Install Magisk Manager Canary Release on your phone
- In Magisk Manager: Install → Install → Select and Patch a File
- Select the boot.img file on Download folder. Magisk Manager will patch the boot.img file and store the output to [Internal Storage]/Download/Magisk_patched.img. Rename Magisk_patched.img to boot.img and convert boot.img to boot.tar using ZArchiver. Copy boot.tar to your PC.
- Enter Download Mode : Turn Power off the phone, Press and hold Volume Down + Volume Up keys together then while pressing these keys connecting the phone to PC with USB Cable Data, release all keys when Download Mode appears
- Flash boot.tar as AP in ODIN, Important: Uncheck “Auto Reboot” in Options!
- Magisk is now successfully flashed to your device! Several steps before you can properly use the device.
- Full data wipe is mandatory! Do not skip this step.
Press and hold Volume Down + Power Key, when the screen blank quickly press and hold Volume Up + Power key, when Samsung Logo appears release Power key only, keep pressing Volume Up key in the Android Logo screen with text “Erasing”, when screen blank again Press and Hold Volume Up + Power key. When Samsung Logo appears release Power Key only, keep pressing Volume Up key until Android Recovery Mode Appears. Select Wipe data / Factory reset. Select Reboot system now.
- After the device is booted up, do the usual initial setup. It need more time and patient. After finished, You will see Magisk Manager app in app drawer. If not, Install it manually.
- Connect the phone to Internet, open Magisk Manager. Magisk Manager will ask to do additional setups. Let it do its job and the app will automatically reboot your device.
- Done! You can use Root Checker to check it, Enjoy!
- To prevent loosing magisk root after reboot. NEVER REBOOT NORMALLY but Reboot it via Magisk or Fully Power Off then Turn Power On.
If something goes wrong and you want to unroot it, just flash the ROM to make it works again. Read How to flash Galaxy A20.
Notes / Warning!
- Use at your own risk, I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
- Using the incorrect file may brick your device.
- If your target device has a custom firmware flash counter, Rooting will trigger it. If you’re lucky, Triangle Away has support for your device and can be used to reset the counter.
- If you have a KNOX-enabled device, Rooting will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !
- If your device storage is encrypted, Rooting will wipe your data !
- If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device – with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically “OEM unlock” and wipe your data !
- Make sure to backup your important data before root it.