How to root Samsung Galaxy J4+ SM-J415FN Android 8.1.0 Oreo using ODIN software. Root files Included TWRP recovery for Galaxy J4+ SM-J415FN, ODIN v3.13.1, Magisk by defexer, latest no-verity-opt-encrypt and RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2. Read notes / Warning on the bottom of this post before perform root your Samsung Galaxy J4+. Take it your own risk! Follow the instruction carefully and read the warning! Make sure to backup all your important data! It also works for rooting J4+ SM-J415G and SM-J415F.
Step by step Rooting Samsung Galaxy J4+ Android 8.1.0 Oreo :
Tools that must be prepared:
- Enable Developer Options: go to Settings -> About phone -> Software information -> Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Enable OEM unlock and USB debugging options ( Settings -> Developer options )
- Download and Extract ODIN v3.13.1 from https://odindownload.com/SamsungOdin/
- Download and Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers: http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117
- Download TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy J4+
- Download no-verity-opt-encrypt and RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2
- Download Magisk_2018-09-17_Defex.zip by defexer.
Install TWRP and Root file on Samsung Galaxy J4+ Android 8.1.0 Oreo
- Make sure your phone isn’t RMM Locked. If RMM Locked or you can not see OEM unlock options in Developer options. Read How to Fix RMM state and OEM unlock option without wait 7 days / 168 hours.
- Open ODIN software
- In Option make sure to ticked F.Reset Time only and disable Auto-Reboot.
- Select AP button and pointing to the location of TWRP .tar file
- Connected USB Cable to PC
- Reboot Phone in Download Mode ( Turn Power off the phone, Press and hold Volume Down + Volume Up keys together then while pressing these keys connecting the phone to PC with USB Cable Data, release all keys when Download Mode appears. Press Volume Up to continue )
- Odin software will auto detect port of your device, after detected device, klik Start, wait for a moment.
- Once Odin3 finished to flash the recovery (you should see a “PASSED” message)
- To get out of Download mode and Enter TWRP Recovery mode: Press and hold Volume Down + Power key, when the screen is off release Volume Down key only and immediately press and hold Volume Up key while keep pressing Power key. Release all keys when TWRP Recovery appears.
- If you see welcome screen Select Keep Read Only
- Decrypt data partition touch Wipe>Format Data, type “yes” and confirming it.
- WARNING!!! Don’t reboot to system after flashing TWRP, and that’s wrong since once you reboot to system after flashing TWRP and without flashing the RMM Bypass zip will immediately trigger RMM Prenormal lock.
- Go back to home screen then select Reboot => Recovery
- Copy files RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2, no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0, Magisk_2018-09-17_Defex to the phone from computer.
- Install RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2 first and then no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0
- For rooting Install Magisk: select install and select Magisk_2018-09-17_Defex.zip
- Reboot to System.
If for any reason you fail to install TWRP multiple times/different methods, make sure you check this thread and if something goes wrong and you want to flash the ROM visit this post How to flash ROM on Galaxy J4+.
Notes / Warning!
- Use at your own risk, I’m not responsible for bricking your device.
- Using the incorrect file may brick your device.
- If your target device has a custom firmware flash counter, Rooting will trigger it. If you’re lucky, Triangle Away has support for your device and can be used to reset the counter.
- If you have a KNOX-enabled device, Rooting will trip the KNOX WARRANTY VOID status !
- If your device storage is encrypted, Rooting will wipe your data !
- If you have locked bootloaders, flashing one of these will probably brick your device – with the exception of Nexus devices, which will usually automatically “OEM unlock” and wipe your data !
- Make sure to backup your important data before root it.
Source: xda-developers forum